Most people do not want to see a rat in their house, even if it could somehow be the cute rat who makes delicious meals in the Disney movie, Ratatouille. Although rats are some of the more common winter pests, damage from these rodents and others can come with far higher cost than the expense associated with rat control services or other preventative measures. Although even the idea of rats in the home is unsettling to many, the actuality of a rat infestation puts not only your house, car and other personal property at risk but also the health of your entire family. If you suspect a rodent problem or have had a rat sighting, contact your local pest control and extermination providers at Eliminate ‘Em for immediate rat extermination and control services.
Rat Dangers & Signs You May Need Rat Control
Rats are a danger to your property as well as its occupants. Both inside and outside of the home, these pests can wreak extensive havoc and even do significant damage to your car! Rat-related dangers primarily stem from their constant need to chew and resulting fecal matter. In addition to being signs of a rat infestation, the following dangers highlight why rats are such a serious concern and why immediate rat control and precautions against rats are essential.
When rats enter your home, everything is at risk. From walls and ceilings to pasta boxes and bottled water, rats will chew through virtually any material with which they come into contact including your home’s electrical system. If any of the following damage occurs, the safety of your home and your family may be jeopardized.
- Rats may chew at your wiring system. This activity may result in a power outage or, worse, a fire starting inside your home.
- Rats may also gnaw at your insulation and use it for food and nesting. This damage can cause your home to feel colder in winter and warmer in summer, increase your energy bills or even result in issues with the structure of your home.
- If they’ve become comfortable in your attic in particular, rats can damage your roofing material. Even if you don’t spend a lot of time in your attic, roof damage can result in holes through which other pests can enter, water leaks, and other deterioration to key components of the roofing system and supporting structures.
- Keep the garage door closed, especially if you have a garage that is incorporated into the rest of the home. Otherwise, rats may take an interest in this area, including any vehicles stored there. Also, rats won’t restrict themselves to a single area of the home, so what may start as one rat in the garage could lead to an infestation of the entire home.
- For water as well as their sheer enjoyment of chewing, weaker piping may be particularly susceptible to rat damage. Consequently, problems stemming from leaks and other damage are additional dangers that can be caused by rats.
- Rats may damage your landscape. Whether they attack your beautiful planters attached to the house or other gardens on your property, rats are a danger to the bulbs and seedlings that you may have so lovingly nurtured.
The list above is just a sample of the kind of dangers rats can pose. While a rodent infestation may be more likely in winter, this is not the only season in which they are a threat. In addition to being dangerous and disruptive, the consequences of rat dangers to your home are often costly and could result in hundreds or even thousands of dollars in repairs in addition to rat control treatment expenses.
According to MedicalNewToday.com, healthy people generally have bowel movements at least 3 times a week, although the exact number varies from person to person. On the other hand, rats may relieve themselves more than 30 times…a day! Consequently, if your home is infested with rats, droppings will likely be found everywhere including kitchen counters and even food storage areas. In addition to the health dangers related to this contamination, rat urine often has an unpleasant smell.
Importance of Rat Control for Your Family’s Health
Whether it’s one rat or a colony of rats, these pests can carry many dangerous diseases and other potential health complications into your home. While you spend time trying to tell the difference between mice and rats, these creatures may be bringing in ticks or exposing your pets and children to leptospirosis and salmonella. Leave the identification to the rat control experts, and call the pest control company in your area today.
When you see a rat in and around your property, it’s time to get an exterminator. At Eliminate ‘Em, our pest experts are available 24/7 on 365 days a year. Contact us today for immediate service or the prevention recommendations that can help you stop rats before they endanger your home and loved ones!