Common tick suggestions include staying out of the woods and away from tall grasses. Yet, even when you go outside prepared with long sleeves and bug repellent, these literal blood-suckers can still attach and burrow inside your skin. If you have a tick problem, contact Eliminate ‘Em for same-day service!
Discover the less-obvious places you could come across ticks and what you can do to protect your family from Lyme Disease.
1. Anywhere With Your Pet
It’s a fact that ticks love animals – and not just your dog. These pests are also attracted to rodents and practically all feral animals. Generally, when there is an abundance of different animals in an area, the greater the chance your pet will carry one home. These scenarios include:
- Going to the park for a walk
- Wandering around or playing in the yard
- Staying in a kennel
- Waiting at the veterinarian’s office
2. Anytime You Go Outdoors
Are you planning to plant a garden by grass or shrubs? Will you be near stagnant water? Ticks may congregate in these spots – especially if your well-manicured lawn transitions to a wooded area – ready to latch onto any warm-blooded being. There’s also a good chance you won’t even notice the tick, as these arachnids may rest on your neck and scalp, behind your ears and neck, in your armpits or on any exposed skin.
What can you do?
- Be mindful during tick season, April through October
- Wear loose-fitting clothing that’s tucked in: Socks in pants, shirts in waistband
- Stay on the trails when you hike – don’t go off into the woods
- Wear insect repellent
- Be aware ticks may be under fallen leaves, ground cover plants, wood piles and in stone walls
- Check yourself twice per day if you’re outside near any of these areas
- Keep your lawn clean and maintained
3. Any Place with Rodents
On occasion, you may see a raccoon going through your trash or mice running along the edge of your yard. Species of ticks attach to these mammals so when these creatures stop by your yard frequently, infestation risks increase. If you are concerned, have a pest control professional assess the area.
If you suspect a tick infestation, turn to Eliminate ‘Em for help. We’ll identify the severity of the tick problem, then follow up with an appropriate treatment plan. Contact our team for more information or to schedule an appointment today.